We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
"I'm 3 months pregnant and I still have not been able to stop smoking, I smoke between 6 and 10 cigarettes a day, is it still worth it to stop and how to do it?" Anna Roy, midwife, answers Amelie's question.
The answer of Anna Roy, liberal and hospitable midwife in Paris
- Dangerous to the health in general, the consumption of tobacco carries risks increased during the pregnancy.
- Tobacco and pregnancy do not mix well. In addition to the current and known risks of smoking (increased risk of cardiovascular disease, cancer ...), the cigarette exposes to risks of intrauterine growth retardation (IUGR) or pre-eclampsia, obstetric pathologies that may endanger the life of the child and mother.
- It is recommended to stop smoking before starting a child's project, tobacco can also be the subject of a preconception consultation.
- If the goal of a pregnancy allows some women to stop smoking, others do not succeed in ending the cigarette, even once pregnant. At the risk of feeling guilty, feeling ostracized by the ambient health messages and smoking in secret!
- A pregnant woman should not be ashamed to say that she is still smoking to her midwife or gynecologist. This vital information will help to accompany it as best as possible with appropriate care to wean it off. It may be offered nicotine substitutes for example: patches, gums, inhalers ...
- But be careful, there is no question of secretly buying these products at the pharmacy! This support should only be done under medical supervision! Smokers will also find help through various techniques such as sophrology, hypnotherapy, acupuncture. They may, if the weaning is too hard on the psychological level, go consult a psychologist. In some cases, they may be referred to a midwife or gynecologist tobacco specialists, specialists who get a high percentage of successful cessation of smoking.
Interview by Frédérique Odasso
Other expert answers.
To find out more: the book Bienvenue au monde, confidences of a young midwife is published by Editions Leduc.